Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Dear Camp NaNoWriMo,


You saved my life. Okay, well that's a bit dramatic. You saved my writing. That's a little better, but it doesn't show how much they really saved me. Trudging along with this mighty goal was so intimidating, but you and your FANTASTIC community made me get my ass in gear. What an inspiring group of people. You are the only reason I finished my book. Since you are also the reason I have blisters on my fingers and wrote 26 thousand words in 8 days, I did curse you a little. I'm sorry for that. I do love you, dear WriMos. Even when you scold me for being dramatic. Who ever said that people that write fiction aren't dramatic? It certainly was not me. And in other news...I got my first rejection letter today. You know what? I kept it. It's hanging above my computer to motivate me to get on with the editing. I'm sure that they will start coming back to me like wildfire, but getting a letter means that I finished this thing. If I only ever get rejection, that's okay too. I have had the time of my life on this epic adventure. Everyone had to start somewhere, and my start is hanging above my computer. With no personal reply.

4 comments:

  1. I have to say that I am feeling a bit intimidated about the whole thing. I am realizing that it is going to be very important to have some sort of outline or map or else. Good job on what you have done and whether you get a rejection letter or not, what you have accomplished so far no one can take from you. Besides, this is an everlasting process so let’s just go with it and enjoy the ride.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well said. You are absolutely right, no one can take this awesome journey from us. You'd better believe I am outlining like a crazy woman getting ready for November. Maybe I'm not a 100% on the fly kind of girl. For every hour that I was productive, I probably had 4 where I was not. With a little more planning and direction, we can totally rock this year's NaNo out. WriMo's, ho!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm very excited for this upcoming November - and nervous. But mostly excited. I'm grateful for the opportunity to finally dedicate myself to one, specific goal, and have the chance to do it with the support of an online (and possibly in person) community.

    I will be following you, Malice, since we're now in a very similar boat :) (and I'm already following you on G+)

    In addition, I've had to suck up my pride and deal with rejection myself. I know I'm a good writer, but when I take a step back and think about "Why would they reject me?" I start to notice all the flaws in my piece, I can pick at it, then sew it back together much more dynamic than it ever was before. Good for you having the strength to put it on your wall. I've deleted mine in a passionate writer's fury that sounds kind of like a war cry. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome, RAD :) I'm not in any way saying that there were no war cries and threats to just delete the whole thing. (Which would be fine, being as though everything I write is compulsively backed up on many different mediums.) I just know that I can fall into the pit of whoa :), or I can grow. And having fallen in the pit before, I'm not going back in there for long. No, it won't get me this time. We can fight the good fight together.

    ReplyDelete